Sunday, September 29, 2013

Same Mindset

Mariah (left) talking with other volunteers during orientation
This year I am serving in St. Michaels, Arizona where I am teaching high school math at St. Michael’s Indian School.  Although it is far from my hometown in New Jersey, I know that this experience will be amazing. When my parents dropped me off in Pennsylvania for Orientation, I have to admit that I was very nervous about this year of service.  However, after meeting the staff of Mercy Volunteer Corps as well as the other volunteers, my nerves have gone away.  I cannot wait to learn more about the Navajo culture and to fully immerse myself in their many traditions.  Also, I cannot wait to go see the beautiful land which I will be living on for the next year.  Everyone who has told me about my service site has told me about the cows and horses we will see roaming around and all of the different places we should visit, all of which will be very new and exciting to me.

Mariah (right) getting pinned during Commissioning Mass
Although some of us have nerves and excitement heading out to our service sites, it is very comforting knowing that we have so much support from those involved with Mercy Volunteer Corps.  Being surrounded by those who have the same mindset as me has made this decision much easier.  I cannot wait for each of us to get our feet wet and to embark on this new journey we have all started together.  This year may be difficult at times, but I know that talking to the other volunteers and keeping my spirituality will help me get through those difficult times.  I hope that this year helps to bring out the best in each of us while teaching us many lessons. I know that I have already been impacted by the people I have met during Orientation, so I can only imagine how much the Navajo community will impact me.


Mariah Iapicco - St. Michael's Indian School - St. Michaels, AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment