Wednesday, September 28, 2011

are you a REAL teacher?

Molly Dougherty
          Throughout my first week as a volunteer at Detroit Cristo Rey High School, I was consistently bombarded with the same question: "Are you a REAL teacher or are you a volunteer?" For the first few days, I told them I was a volunteer. By the end of the week, reality began to sink in--volunteer or not, I am as "real" as any paid staff member at the school. At first, that fact made me feel overwhelmingly anxious, frustrated, and afraid. Now that I have a couple weeks under my belt, I still deal with anxiety and frustration, but the fear is gone for good!

              I have developed an incredible respect for high school teachers and administrators--it's still strange being on the "other side" of things, sometimes. The amount of work that goes on behind  the scenes is astounding. The faculty and administration here appear to be tireless, which provides daily inspiration for me to increase my efforts.
             It has been a struggle sometimes to bring enthusiasm to community life because I feel so drained from ministry, but Colleen, Brit, Amy, and Xochitl have been very supportive and understanding. Everyone is working hard and we have been pretty good about responding to each other's needs. Detroit itself is amazing! It is a fascinating city with great people and a unique atmosphere. I can already see why so many volunteers have stayed in the area after their service year. Keep us in your prayers.

Molly Dougherty - Detroit Cristo Rey High School - Detroit, MI

1 comment:

  1. Molly - we are blessed to have you at Detroit Cristo Rey. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete